Master’s in Fashion Design
Head of Fashion Department, Master Director: Barbara Trebitsch
Director of the project activity: Monica Tempesta
Fashion Department Coordinator: Serena Selva
Recognized by the Camera Nazionale della Moda Italiana (National Chamber of Italian Fashion).
The MA in Fashion Design Program is offered during the following term/s:
January 2013 - December 2013
The evolution of the Fashion System demands for the designers not only to be able to design collections, but also to be professional characters with growing multi-disciplinary competences, capable of managing and communicating with the various sectors involved. Today the fashion designer needs to be manager and art-director at the same time, and must be able to manage the project up to the product, the communication and the retail aspects.
Only in Italy and only in Milan is it possible to study at the center of a Fashion System that is unique in the world and internationally recognized; where the creativity of the fashion designers integrates with the production capacity, with the quality of fabrics and confection, with entrepreneurial abilities as well as with retail and communication innovations, allowing a direct contact with this world, its protagonists and events.
The main formative objective of the Master Course in Fashion Design is to acquire an in-depth knowledge of the fashion sector in all of its aspects, through an integrated approach between creative, cultural, productive marketing and communication aspects.
The path of the Master in Fashion Design is a path of experience, research and project making, created combining the theoretic patrimony of innovative and expert didactics with the fundamental contribution of a close and concrete collaboration with prestigious companies and professionals, who chose to follow the students during their training. Studying Fashion Design in Italy is a unique experience that allows being in direct contact with this world, its protagonists and events, and the constant dialogue with professionals, contribute to the development of professional characters able to successfully express their creativity and to face effectively the evolution of the challenges presented by the field.
Program Outline: The MA’s teaching structure consists of a series of project seminars, different year after year, covering all the issues useful to train a complete designer.
- The first months, are dedicated to the basic training of the students with the analysis of the complex distribution system, trade fairs and manufacturing processes. Students are asked to work on design methodologies and the knowledge of the territory and of the Italian Fashion System, through two project seminars developed in collaboration with professionals. The themes faced in the course are in fact constantly updated, considering the social, commercial and methodological evolution of the Fashion System. Each project seminar lasts three/four weeks, and in this period the department plans meetings and lectures (psychology of fashion, anthropology, socio-economic forecasting, marketing and management, textile culture, contemporary art, etc.) on the theme of the seminar, which is consequently analysed from different angles, thanks to the support of the different professionals.
- In March the projects in collaboration with companies and fashion designers start. The formula of these seminars change from time to time since the designers and the representatives of companies can choose to work separately or according to tandems built ad hoc to stimulate the confrontation with the students. The briefs become more complex and articulated. The students are not simply asked to develop a design project, but a pathway able to highlight their strategic abilities in using conceptual and research tools applied to the project. In this phase, the confrontation with the professional world becomes the operative key to build a path closer to the philosophy of a laboratory rather than to a traditional education experience. In this way, the students are given the opportunity to face the reality of the system in the different categories of product and of market. The students work in collaboration with fashion designers representing the international ready-to-wear field, as well as with companies present on different levels of the market. In order to offer a complete overview of the possibilities offered by the Fashion System as well as a full understanding of the different competences, the students meet in this phase the different professional characters of the field.
- At the end of the this second phase, in July, the companies that have taken part in the project seminars select a number of students who produced interesting results to follow them in the final Master thesis. The final Master project is developed from September to December and it represents the moment when the students have the possibility to work individually with companies on a chosen theme.
- The final Master project is presented to the Examination board at the end of November. In December, all the Master projects are exhibited during an exhibition open to the public and to the press.
This MA is geared towards graduates from fashion Design, Architecture and Art Schools, who wish to develop their professional skills, and to people with a suitable background and professional experience in the fashion field.
The objective of the Master in Fashion Design is to train professionals with the ability to blend their creativity and their theoretical knowledge with organization and relation abilities with the world of production. Students attending the course have the possibility to access different contexts, such as:
- Fashion companies: both casual-wear and ready-to-wear
- Fashion Houses: design office
- Textile companies
Anthropological Dimension of the Project
Construction of a Collection
Design Methodologies: the Accessory
Marketing and Management Experience
Psychology of Fashion
Microsoft Office Suite
Optional: Photoshop and Illustrator
|IN COLLABORATION WITH
Fiorucci Love Therapy
Maurizio Galante – Tal Lancman
Selected Companies where Alumni currently work:
Bottega Veneta, Milan
Alexander McQueen, London
Victor & Rolf, Amsterdam
Abercrombie & Fitch, Cleveland
Marni Srl, Milan
Costume National, Milan
Neil Barrett, Milan
|COMPETITION: “CALL FOR TALENT”
An initiative aiming at promoting talent and merit. A unique occasion originated from the collaboration between the Master in Fashion Design, the Master in Accessories Design at Domus Academy and Vogue Talents who as always promotes and incentives talent.
Competition: Domus Academy and Vogue Talents want to motivate young talents thinking out of the box, eager to make an intensive experience in the Italian design culture, offering three scholarships to attend the 2013 edition of the Master in Fashion Design and three scholarships to attend the 2013 edition of the Master in Accessories Design. If you believe that Fashion Design is not merely a stylistic technique giving shape to objects, but it’s a challenging activity that encourages creativity to achieve higher goals; if you’re interested in experiencing a cross-disciplinary approach,interweaving the world of fashion and accessories design; if you want to invest your future on developing and enhancing your fashion design sensitivity, your artistic, cultural and sociological knowledge choose Domus Academy.
- A personal portfolio/personal collection (man or woman),including a 500 words abstract on the research inspiring the collection, sketches of the collection including technical references (minimum 15 sketches), pictures of the outfits (minimum 3)
- Curriculum vitae of the participant: maximum 1 A4 page;
- Statement of purpose: maximum 5 lines on an A4 page.
- One scholarship covering 70% of the total tuition fee of the Master Program.
- One scholarship covering 50% of the total tuition fee of the Master Program.
- One scholarship covering 30% of the total tuition fee of the Master Program.
The students of the Master in Fashion Design presented their final projects related to the workshop with 7 For All Mankind, Californian brand leader in the premium denim sector, worldwide known for its legendary fit, that transformed it into the absolute protagonist within the world of Hollywood celebrities.
Under the direction of the Chief Designer Barbara Gay, the director of the Master Barbara Trebitsch, and the Project Director Monica Tempesta, designed a new professional collection, starting from the research and the brand identity and developing total looks consistent with 7 For All Mankind DNA’s. For an innovative development of original collections, the projects have been enriched with the students’ personal vision and interpretation, inspired by the world of contemporary art, music, cinema and sociology.