Student Health & Safety
Student safety, security, and well-being are of primary importance to SAI. While neither SAI nor SAI affiliate universities can guarantee a risk-free environment, all efforts are made to ensure the safety, security, and well-being of our students throughout the duration of the program. SAI Safety, Crisis and Emergency Management Procedures are in place in order to ensure that transportation, lodging, medical facilities, communications, and emergency responses are available to best provide a safe environment while abroad.
With this in mind, it is also important to note that all program participants take responsibility for their own safety, security, and well-being while abroad. Pre-departure preparations and on-site orientations cannot replace good judgment. This means using common sense, being aware of one’s surroundings, and not putting oneself in compromising positions, particularly in regards to the use and abuse of drugs or alcohol. In short, the same precautions anyone would follow in their home communities in the U.S. should be maintained when studying abroad.
Emergencies AbroadSAI has taken the following precautions to ensure student health and safety abroad:
- SAI provides all students with international health insurance through HTH Worldwide Insurance. SAI on-site staff and our host school staff can refer students to a local English speaking doctor. In the event of a more serious case, an on-site SAI staff member will accompany the student to the local hospital.
- SAI carefully monitors public announcements and travel warnings issued by the U.S. Department of State.
- SAI on-site staff encourages all students to register with local consulates; staff communicates as necessary with these offices.
- SAI strongly recommends, unless specific situations dictate otherwise, that students designate their parents or legal guardians as emergency contacts.
- To contact a student abroad during an emergency, call the student directly, contact SAI on-site staff (see numbers below), or contact the SAI main office in California (707.824.8965) for assistance.
- SAI maintains a thorough handbook of Safety, Crisis and Emergency Management Procedures (PDF) .
The SAI on-site Program Coordinators and Assistants serve as the primary contacts in case of emergency. They can be reached 24/7 at the following numbers in case of emergency only:
- Florence: +39 335 714 6421
- Rome: +39 335 714 6450
- Milan: +39 335 714 6450
- London: +44 (0) 7592 990 234
- Sorrento: +39 339 187 0807 or +39 328 052 9335
- Siena: +39 348 918 9497