Internships are the bridge between the academic and the professional world. They allow students and recent graduates to develop skills, learn new ones, network within their field, and bolster their resume with relevant experience. International internships add even more value for young professionals seeking a competitive edge in the global job market.
For students who may be hesitant to hop on a plane this upcoming Fall or Spring, virtual internships are a great way to gain valuable work experience without leaving their home.
With plenty of flexibility, it can be fit into any schedule, including alongside studies at a student’s home university! Plus, remote work skills are increasingly important in the workplace, especially in our current climate.
Locations & Placement Fields
SAI’s Virtual Internship programs offer participants pre-professional experiences with companies based in some of Europe’s most inspiring cultural hubs: Florence, Rome, Sorrento, or Barcelona.
Participants will be assigned an SAI Internship Mentor who facilitates guided reflection on their experiences throughout the term. Such guided reflection will consist of various assignments and self-evaluation exercises, bi-weekly virtual meetings with the SAI Internship Mentor, and keeping a “work journal” throughout the course of the term. Upon successful completion of the virtual internship program, participants will receive a certificate of completion and a letter of recommendation from SAI.
- Florence Virtual Internship Fall 2020, Spring 2021: 8 weeks, non-credit, program fee: $1,250
- Placement fields: online marketing, digital promotion, education, and digital communication.
- Rome Virtual Internship Fall 2020, Spring 2021: 8 weeks, non-credit, program fee: $1,250
- Placement fields: online marketing, healthcare, digital promotion, education, and digital communication.
- Sorrento Virtual Internship Fall 2020, Spring 2021: 12 weeks, non-credit, program fee: $1,690
- Placement fields: business administration, communication, interior design, political and international studies, journalism, education, and Italian studies.
- Barcelona Virtual Internship Fall 2020, Spring 2021: 8 weeks, non-credit, program fee: $1,250
- Placement fields: computer programming, engineering, online marketing, digital promotion, and social media management.
A complete application* will include the online application and supplemental internship application. You will also need to submit the following materials: cover letter, resume, ID scan, letter of recommendation, and transcript.
Applicants must have a 2.75 or higher GPA and have completed at least 2 semesters of college. Italian or Spanish language experience is not required, however, it can expand placement opportunities.
*Sorrento Virtual Internship application requirements are a bit different; you can see them here!
Fall 2020 application closes: September 1, 2020 (Sorrento: August 1, 2020)
Spring 2021 application closes: November 15, 2020 (can accept late apps, as space permits!)