In accordance with Spanish law students studying in Spain for 91 days or more are required to obtain a student visa. Those with Spanish/EU citizenship are exempted. It is not necessary for US students studying for 90 days or less to obtain a visa. Non-US nationals should consult their local Consulate for details on student visa requirements. Our Student Visa Office is available to assist all students in getting ready for their appointment, and we provide simple step-by-step instructions for the application process to students after they are accepted.
Most students must appear in person at their Spanish Consulate to present their student visa application. Your specific Consulate is determined by the location of either your permanent address or your address while at school. In some cases your nearest Spanish Consulate may be in a neighboring state, which might necessitate air travel. Please plan and budget accordingly.
Please note: the New York and Chicago Consulates will only accept visa applications for students whose school address (not permanent) is within their jurisdiction.
- Those whose permanent address is within the NY or Chicago jurisdiction, but whose school address is not, must obtain their visa through the Consulate of their school address.
SAI Visa Processing (Miami Consulate)
With SAI visa processing, there is no need to appear at the Consulate, just send all documents to SAI by the deadline below and we’ll handle the rest!
Spring 2021 term: Miami Consulate: November 2
For visa-related questions please contact our Student Visa Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before You Begin
- The Spanish government charges $160 for student visas for US citizens. Non U.S. citizens should check with their nearest Spanish Consulate for cost and procedures.
- It is ultimately each student’s responsibility to verify the requirements and obtain his/her student visa. Since Consulates may change student visa requirements at any time SAI cannot guarantee that any of the information given has not changed or will not change.
- Consulates have full authority to evaluate and request additional documentation, if they deem it necessary, in addition to what is submitted. Submitting all required documentation does not guarantee the issuance of a student visa.
- Since Spain is a member of the Schengen (EU) community, upon obtaining a student visa students will have free access to travel throughout the Schengen area. You are allowed to travel throughout the Schengen area for up to 90 days after your visa has expired.
- Our student visa office is available to assist you with any questions, please reach out!
Applying For Your Visa
- For most Consulates, you must appear in person at the Spanish Consulate.
- It is important to gather all required documents as soon as possible in order to be prepared.
- Be sure to make your Consulate appointment well before your departure. Setting your appointment date and time with the Consulate can be done four months before departure, however your actual appointment must be within 90 days before your departure. Do not make an appointment less than 30 days before the departure date.
- The turn-around time for processing visa applications is approximately 4 weeks.
Use the list of Consulate jurisdictions below to determine your specific Consulate. Your specific Consulate is determined by either your permanent address or your address while at school. Note: those whose permanent address is within the NY or Chicago jurisdictions but whose school address is not must obtain their visa through the Consulate of their school address.
Go to the Consulate’s website and follow the instructions to make your appointment.
Complete the visa application and all supplemental materials below, following the SAI instructions. Make a copy of your completed application for your records.
You will need three important letters to complete the visa application, which we will mail to your permanent address. We will send you an email notifying you when they have been mailed:
- Official Acceptance Letter, in Spanish
- Proof of Medical Insurance, in Spanish
- SAI Enrollment Letter, in Spanish
Bring your full application, including the letters you receive from SAI, to your Consulate appointment. Remember to be on time, and be flexible. When you receive your passport back with your visa, scan the visa page and submit it to your admissions counselor.
SAI Student Visa Processing
SAI is able to process student visa applications on behalf of students in the Miami Consulate jurisdiction.
If a student chooses SAI student visa processing, they will not need to appear in person at the Consulate.
- We will review your visa application and documents to make sure it is complete and ready for us to present to your Consulate.
- Our designated visa department will work closely with you and your family to answer any and all questions.
- This service is perfect for the student who finds it difficult to take time off from school or work to appear in person at the Consulate.
Students using our SAI Visa Processing must submit their visa application, documentation, and processing fee ($250) to the SAI office no later than the following date:
Spring 2021 term Miami Consulate: November 2, 2020
Please note that once a passport is submitted to a Spanish Consulate, it may take 4 weeks for the visa to be issued. Therefore, students should not schedule any international travel before their SAI program starts if they wish to use the SAI processing service, as we cannot guarantee early return of a passport.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you would like to use SAI’s student visa processing service.
Consulate Jurisdictions & Materials
BOSTON CONSULATE – ME, MA, NH, RI, VT
CHICAGO CONSULATE – IL, IA, IN, KS, KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, ND, SD, WI
The Chicago Consulate will only accept visa applications for students whose school address (not permanent) is within their jurisdiction.
HOUSTON CONSULATE – AL, AR, LA, MS, TN, NM, OK, TX
LOS ANGELES CONSULATE – AZ, Southern CA counties (Imperial Valley, Kern, LA, Orange, Riverside, Santa Barbara, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Louis Obispo, Ventura), CO, UT
Los Angeles Consulate Application
Los Angeles Consulate Application Instructions
Checklist Using SAI Processing
Checklist Applying Independently
Proof of Financial Means Form
Los Angeles Release of Responsibility
Visa Application Authorization
MIAMI CONSULATE – FL, GA, SC
Note: we offer SAI student visa processing for this Consulate
NEW YORK CONSULATE – CT, DE, NJ, NY, PA
The New York Consulate will only accept visa applications for students whose school address (not permanent) is within their jurisdiction.
SAN FRANCISCO CONSULATE – AK, MT, NV, OR, WA, WY, ID, HI, Northern CA counties (all except those counties listed under the LA Consulate’s jurisdiction)
WASHINGTON, D.C. CONSULATE – MD, VA, WV, DC, NC