I’ll be honest, when I first started thinking about how I was going to pack for a summer in Italy in one suitcase, I was intimidated. I was afraid of packing too much and then I was afraid of packing not enough. Now, halfway through my study abroad in Sorrento, I have a pretty good idea of what would have been the perfect way to pack my suitcase.
Starting with tops, here are my recommendations:
- Two comfy t-shirts (I rarely wear t-shirts, except while sleeping or chilling around the apartment)
- 5 cute tank tops (tank tops are super easy to pack and will be the only thing you wear here in Sorrento, it is very hot!)
- 2 work out shirts (for hiking, running, etc)
- One lightweight cardigan (just in case you go into churches and coverage is required)
- 3 or 4 casual dresses/rompers (these are really easy to just throw on and go)
- 2 pairs of denim shorts
- 4 pairs of cute, soft shorts (flowy shorts will be your best friend in the summer!!)
- 1 pair of jeans (I have only worn my jeans once, at night, when it had cooled off some, it is just way too hot to wear them during the day)
- 2 pairs of athletic shorts
- Leggings (mostly just for traveling days)
- 2 or 3 sets of swimsuits (you will be going to the beach multiple times every week)
- 1 pair of sneakers
- 1 pair of beach shoes
- 3 pairs of casual sandals
*make sure your shoes are already broken in!!! (even if they are, be prepared for blisters)
Things I Don’t Recommend Bringing:
- Rain gear (it rarely rains, and when it does, it is usually during the night)
- Heeled shoes (the cobblestone sidewalks will not be your friend)
- Long sleeve shirts
- Denim jacket
The packing process is trial-and-error. But make sure to leave enough room for the souvenirs and clothing you will be bringing home!!
Megan was a summer 2019 Sorrento student from Penn State.