The SAI Global Leadership Certificate (GLC), offered to semester students in Florence, Rome, Milan, Paris and Barcelona, is designed to enrich students’ experiences abroad and to acknowledge their academic and service work by providing an additional credential beyond a university transcript. Students enrolled in the Global Leadership Certificate program broaden their awareness of global issues and deepen their knowledge of the host community’s role in an increasingly interconnected world through exploration of research, engagement in community service and interaction with experts and leaders.
For successful completion of the certificate, students:
- Enroll in one (or more) global awareness course, and earn a B or better in the course;
- Engage in community service during the semester for a minimum of 15 hours;
- Participate in three seminars, lectures and/or meetings with experts and leaders on topics such as migration, multiculturalism, role of women, diplomacy, social justice, sustainability, and globalization;
- Maintain a journal of activities, observations and reflections on how their study abroad experiences may inform their understanding of global issues, and meet with SAI mentor to discuss related activities;
- Submit a 500-word leadership paper that incorporates research and analysis of the global issue (selected earlier as the main topic), describes how local and global leaders respond to the issue and recommends further social action.
Upon successful completion, students receive a reference letter that confirms completion of the certificate and related activities, along with a certificate suitable for framing. On request, the certificate can appear on a U.S. transcript (processing fees may apply).