Home School: University of Texas at Arlington
- I am from Bogota Colombia but I moved to the United States when I was 7.
- I love dogs! I have a cocker spaniel and his name is Freckles.
- I caught the travel bug after visiting Salzburg Austria through a school program.
- When I am sad or happy I eat ice cream, ice cream is never a bad idea!
- I love going to the park and just get away from time to time.
- I enjoy connecting with people from different cultures and backgrounds.
- Sometime I enjoy doing absolutely nothing.
- I have a passion for photography.
- I am always on the move in order to find new things and places to go around town.
- When I have a vision for my future there is nothing that can stop me in order to achieve that vision.
Home School: Rochester Institute of Technology
- I am working to one day be a professional eSports player in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. (Article about my college team). I will be coaching my college team from France while also attempting to study and play under EU Players.
- I am from K-Town in the Metro Area of Atlanta, Georgia. My dad is from Boston, MA and my mom from Gainesville, GA. This adds all together to give me a very indistinct and non-Southern sounding accent.
- I am familiar with French, Spanish, Korean, and Chinese (most proficient with Spanish).
- I am the proud owner of a Siberian Husky (Lucky) and a petite calico cat (Karma).
- I will be graduating in May 2018 in my third year at Rochester Institute of Technology. I only spent 3 years at Gwinnett School of Math Science Technology (previously ranked number 3 High School in the nation) and 1 year at the University of North Georgia for my high-school career.
- My favorite food is Korean Barbecue. I love to mix my food up with lots of meat, vegetables, and spices.
- I previously was a rap artist in a Blue Grass Hip-Hop band in High School called “The Flying Turtles”.
- I am in the Global Business Group at RIT as an Event Director. The club has just started and we are working on bringing more international ventures to our campus.
- My family is really important to me. Every bit of success in my life I owe to my parents and I want to succeed to pay them back for all the sacrifices they have made for me. My mother and father & grandparents are my world to me.
- I have a younger brother who I hope that I can inspire everyday to be himself no matter what and to chase he dreams with all his heart. Sometimes though, he teaches me things that I wish I did at his age. He is brilliant.
Home School: Baylor University
- Hi! I am a Texas girl delighted by big cities. New York City, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston…I love them all.
- From the cyclical pattern of trends to the artistic canvas of clothing, I am completely and utterly fascinated by the world of fashion.
- I will drink a hot chocolate in 90° weather without hesitation. My love for it is that deep!
- I can say with full confidence that I would not make it past the first audition on “So You Think You Can Dance,” but I take the words “dance like nobody is watching” very literally.
- I love art, but hate drawing.
- You know that feeling in your gut after you leap off the diving board or ride a rollercoaster? Yeah. There are few things that I fear more than that feeling.
- If I could rewind to any decade, I would, without a doubt, choose the 1920s. I can’t resist the flapper dresses!
- I love journals, but I have yet to be consistent in writing. As a result, I have a pile of gorgeous journals with blank pages.
- When I was seven, I asked my mom if I could change my name to Ariel (just like the mermaid). She kindly said no.
- I have been abroad once. Ever since I stepped off the plane, I have been dying to return! I am beyond grateful for the opportunity to begin another adventure abroad!
Home School: Lasell College
- My major is Fashion Communications and Promotions.
- My minor is Sociology.
- I have been to Fashion Week in both New York City and Miami.
- I have visited three state prisons in Massachusetts to advocate for prison reform.
- I am a florist at Whole Foods.
- I am a vegetarian.
- I love to cook!
- I adopted a baby kitten named Frankie this summer.
- My favorite TV show is Rick and Morty.
- Studying at NABA will be my first time in Europe!
Home School: Saint Mary’s College of California
- I have purple hair which is my favorite color.
- I love painting and drawing .
- I play rugby at Saint Mary’s College of California.
- I work at an art gallery in the Bay Area.
- I love piercings. I have 8 and I plan to get more. I get them for important moments in my life with people who are important to me.
- I love the sea and hope to live by it at some point in my life.
- I usually love the bad guys in movies and tv shows more than the good guys.
- I wish I was a mermaid.
- I collect rings and other jewelry from places I travel to.
- I believe in learning many different skills and trying many different types of jobs instead of just being good at one thing. I learned how to milk a cow working at my family’s dairy, I have been a secretary, I was a waitress and barista at a cafe, a personal assistant to an interior designer, and I took floral and welding classes in high school.
Home School: George Washington University
- I am a painter. I love using oil paints but also enjoy digitally painting.
- Reading books is my favorite activity. Critical theory works, war stories and tales of human struggle are my favorite.
- Neither my family nor I have left the U.S. before. We all got our passports together in preparation for this trip.
- I worked for a nonprofit called First Star Institute that promotes the best practices in education, research and law to help abused and neglected children.
- I wrote for the culture section of my school newspaper covering the music scene in D.C.
- I spent the second semester of my sophomore year writing about national and local art advocacy. I worked with artists collaborating with the Women’s March, nonprofits, filmmakers and playwrights.
- I spend my summers in a beach town in New Jersey waitressing at a bar and working at the local paper.
- I have a dachshund (wiener dog) named Pepperoni.
- I grew up listening to Led Zeppelin, Paul Simon, The Smiths, The Rolling Stones and The Beatles with my mom.
- Ever since moving to D.C. I have become a huge fan of running, especially around the National Mall and around the city since it allows me to explore and exercise at the same time.
Home School: George Washington University
- I’m studying art history with the hope of working in museums, and I’m especially interested in education outreach.
- I’m originally from San Luis Obispo, California, and grew up in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. I’m currently a third-year student at the George Washington University in Washington, DC.
- I worked as a bike tour guide in Washington, DC, during the summer before my fall abroad semester.
- I was on my high school speech and debate team, and I broke school records for NFL speaking points by participating in 2 debate types and 4 speaking events at every tournament by my senior year.
- In my high school I was well-known for my love of history, especially the Lewis and Clark Expedition; this summer I finally was able to go to Philadelphia to see the real Lewis and Clark journals in person!
- I’ve built homes for birds, butterflies, bats, and bees in my garden at home.
- I’m the adoptive sponsor of an Egyptian fruit bat named Peek-a-Boo.
- I’ve won awards in cosplay contests by using my interest in historical textiles to make period-inspired outfits.
- I once toured a castle in France while wearing an eighteenth-century inspired ballgown.
- I introduced writer Katherine Boo as the guest speaker for a symposium hosted at my school, and while we were speaking after the event she told me she wanted to be me when she grew up.
Home School: University of Kentucky
- I have very red hair and when I was little I used to hate it but now it is one of my favorite things about myself.
- Despite being the traveler that I am, my mom has actually never been on an airplane, but I am lucky that I am able to see the world for myself.
- My current obsession is asian culture so that is definitely the next destination on my list! (food, beauty, fashion!)
- I adopted my very own kitty cat named Tater Tot and he looks quite like me.
- I live in New York City and worked as an intern at Kleinfeld Bridal (the store that Say Yes to the Dress is filmed at!)
- I am spending the summer before I go abroad in Milwaukee, Wisconsin working in Product Development at Kohl’s Corporate offices!
- I am obsessed with YouTube and could watch videos for hours and hours without getting bored.
- I am a vegetarian and love thinking of creative ways to recreate meals!
- I am a chocoholic and have a sweet tooth that I got from my momma.
- I LOVE airports. I arrive unessesarily early for my flights just so I can hang out in them!
Home School: Virginia Commonwealth University
- My name is Detranelle and I was born in Gary, Indiana.
- My favorite color is tied between black and baby pink.
- I have one double jointed shoulder.
- I have seen every episode of Spongebob Squarepants ever.
- I consider myself to be an amateur DJ’s.
- I have a small collection of cd’s and vinyls.
- Music is one of my few passions and I consider myself to be well rounded.
- I hate frozen strawberries.
- This semester abroad will be my first time out of the country.
- I am really looking forward to submerging myself in the Italian culture!
Home School: College of Charleston
- I am originally from Long Island, NY, but moved to Greenville, SC about 10 years ago.
- I major in Arts Management with a concentration in the Music Industry. I would love to either be a tour manager or work in a record label managing artists. I enjoy listening to most genres of music, but I typically listen R&B and hip hop!
- The beach is my happy place.
- I’m obsessed with elephants, I even have an elephant tattoo (peep the necklace).
- Ice cream is my favorite food group – so obviously I’m super excited to have real Italian gelato!
- I also love sushi. Is there good sushi in Italy? Let me know.
- Ariel is my favorite Disney princess, and in my next life I would love to be a mermaid. Or a dolphin would do, too.
- Puppies make me a very, very happy gal.
- I hope to live long term in Europe after I graduate college. I want to experience as many cultures as I possibly can! Therefore, I am so excited to be spending a semester abroad!
- I would love to learn how to produce music and record artists.
Home School: Muhlenberg College
- My name is Siobhan McKenna and I’m from Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.
- I’m an English Major with Political Science and Studio Art Minors at Muhlenberg College.
- I’ve played Women’s Soccer in college for the past two years.
- I’m hoping to go to law school in the future.
- I have 3 sisters and am an aunt to 3 little kids.
- My favorite place to vacation is Avalon, New Jersey.
- I’m a vegetarian and love animals.
- I love to paint and create new pieces of art work.
- Reading and writing are also two of my favorite things.
- I’ve only been outside of the country once and am very excited to explore Europe!
Home School: University of Nebraska – Lincoln
- I’m in an a cappella group, so my life is basically “Pitch Perfect.”
- I’ve attempted to learn how to play five instruments through my life, and was fairly unsuccessful in all of those endeavors.
- My brother pushed me out a window when I was 5 and I broke my wrist.
- I love writing.
- The best job I’ve ever had was an editing position at The Daily Nebraskan (my school’s student-run newspaper).
- I watched “The Sound of Music” every single day of the summer.
- I’m an advertising major and hope to move to New York to work in the industry after graduation.
- This semester in Florence will be my third time studying abroad (I spent one summer in China and another in Oxford, UK).
- My favorite movies are “Mona Lisa Smile” and “10 Things I Hate About You.”
- I’m extraordinarily talented at laughing at my own jokes.
Home School: Belmont University
- I was born and raised in Central Louisiana, but moved to Nashville, TN for college. Shortly after, my parents moved there as well! So now Nashville is home!
- I am majoring in Music Business at Belmont University and hope to work in Music Publishing and Demo Production after college.
- I am minoring in Italian and hope to be fluent by the time I finish my semester abroad!
- I should’ve graduated May 2017 (oops) but have an extra semester due to adding the Italian minor. I decided to spend it abroad in Sorrento!
- I was the music director for Belmont’s student organization Chadasha Gospel Choir for three years!
- I LOVE CHRISTMAS!! To the point where I would go caroling all year long if it was socially acceptable.
- Old sitcoms are my favorite! I Love Lucy, I Dream of Jeannie, and the Dick Van Dyke Show are my top 3!
- My grandmother was from Sicily and her old letters and recipes are what inspired me to take Italian in the first place.
- Cooking is one of my favorite hobbies! Sometimes I spend all day in the kitchen perfecting recipes.
- Traveling is another passion of mine, and I am beyond excited to explore Europe for the first time this Fall!
Home School: Baylor University
- I am an English Literature major with a minor in Creative Writing at Baylor University in Waco, Texas. I originally went to Baylor to play my saxophone, but now I’m in the choir. Go figure.
- I am from Mesquite, Texas (it’s near Dallas, TX).
- I have a sassy cat named Luna. Yes, I am THAT cat lady :)
- I love trying new foods, and going outdoors to explore new places.
- I want to be a fantasy author and a Creative Writing professor one day!
- I have never travelled outside of the United States, so I am extremely excited to study abroad.
- My favorite colors are purple and blue. I once had blue hair, but I’m not cool enough for that anymore.
- My favorite book is Eragon, by Christopher Paolini.
- I am terrified of sharks.
- My favorite superhero is Wonder Woman.
Home School: University of Tampa
- I like to try new things.
- I go to school in Florida.
- I’m from Buffalo, New York.
- I went skydiving.
- I caught a tiger shark.
- I like to golf.
- I would do anything for a friend.
- I like to travel.
- I enjoy cooking.
- But I like eating better.
Home School: Lindenwood University
- Working in a nursing home for the past five years has given me a heart of patience, trials, and good times.
- In another life, I would be a photographer for National Geographic, traveling the world.
- I go to school in Missouri but I’ve never been to the top of the arch.
- After college, I want to work in the natural disaster relief field.
- I’ve summited two of Colorado’s 53 14-ers.
- Dog may be man’s best friend but deep down, I still call myself a cat person.
- If I only had one food left to eat for the rest of my life…watermelon.
- In middle school, I spent WAY too much money on music so I am forever grateful for Spotify.
- I am from China but I don’t speak any Chinese.
- After my acceptance letter into SAI-Rome, I wanted to watch an Italian film to “get in the mind set.” I watched Life is Beautiful, to this day it is one the best and most tragic films I’ve ever seen.